The job holder will join an expert Sub Contractor, specialising in structural steel and cladding. The job holder will assume responsibility for the control and management of the estimating and financial aspects of company projects, ensuring efficiency and cost control. The job holder will be responsible for the preparation and submission of tender documents, contractual agreements, project cost management, and general duties within the estimating department.
The job holder must be able to:
- Prepare tender and contract documents, including creation and completion of bills of quantities in conjunction with client requirements (including management of clarifications), completing within client determined timeframe
- Prepare budgets for projects and oversee the ordering of materials and labour, whilst ensuring the required standards and quality are met as well as ensuring project profitability
- Offer value engineering opportunities
- Improve current pricing methods with more accurate & measurable costs
- Procurement of subcontractor packages
- Prepare/submit valuations for ongoing and completed works, followed by arranging payments
- Following protocols of NEC and JCT contract- compile costs and submit via CE’s
- Assist in establishing client’s requirements and project briefs
- Create and maintain price lists
- Any other ad hoc duties deemed necessary to fulfil the duties of the job
1.Ensure the company’s policy on equality of opportunity is promoted through his/her own actions
2.Co-operate fully with the implementation of the company's Health and Safety arrangements, reporting any accidents/incidents/equipment defects to his/her manager, and maintaining a clean, uncluttered and safe environment for customers, members of the public and staff.
3. Adhere at all times to all policies/codes of conduct, including for example:
- Smoke Free policy
- Alcohol & Drug Free Policy
- Company Standards of attendance, appearance and behaviour
- Fire Procedures
- Health & Safety at Work
4. This Job Description will be subject to review in the light of changing circumstances and is not intended to be rigid and inflexible but should be regarded as providing guidelines within which the individual works. Other duties of a similar nature may be assigned from time to time.
5. It is a standard condition that all staff may be required to serve at any location to meet the needs of service demand.
Title of post:
Hours of work:
40 hours per week
ESSENTIAL CRITERIA – these are criteria all applicants MUST be able to demonstrate either at shortlisting or at interview stage. Applicants should therefore make it clear on their application form whether or not they meet these criteria. Failure to do so may result in you not being shortlisted.
Qualifications & Experience
- Hold a degree in Quantity Surveying or equivalent experience
- Hold a minimum of 3 years post degree experience in project cost management in the construction industry
- Hold a current driving license valid for use in the UK, with access to transport on appointment and be willing to travel
Skills & Knowledge
- Knowledge of JCT and NEC contracts
- Knowledge of construction methods of measurement, general construction practices
- Be proficient in reading and interpreting CAD generated drawings
- Effective communication skills to include strong negotiation & people skills
- Outgoing and confident in approach to seeking and obtaining new opportunities
- Quality driven
- Ability to work on initiative
- Good financial management skills
- Good organisational skills with an ability to prioritise workload
- Be proficient in the use of Microsoft Packages to include Outlook, Excel, Word etc
DESIRABLE CRITERIA – these criteria are not necessary but would be beneficial to fulfil the duties of the post.
- Experience in structural steel estimating
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors Registration
- Proficient in using CostX for tendering & take offs
- Knowledge of BIM software
Send CV's to email@example.com
Or Call 02825 821000 for more information